Wilson Staff’s new performance golf balls, The FG Tour and FG Tour X have made quite an impression with golfers who have given them a try – including me. They both feature 3-piece multilayer construction with a cast urethane cover. Both balls deliver traction control for maximum spin and control on iron and wedge shots at any length and excellent scuff resistance. The FG Tour X is a higher compression ball (93 compared to the FX Tour at 75). The FG Tour is the softest urethane ball on the market.
After using both balls for several rounds, here are a few of my observations:
- Both balls seem to take off from the driver on well struck shots. I was getting 5 to 10 yards more out of the FG Tour. These balls are long!
- I did not experience any ballooning with either ball. I would describe both as mid-flight golf balls. They get up in the air quickly and land softly.
- Both balls seem to grip and hold quickly on multiple green surfaces; typically a “one hop and stop.” It was also easy to hit a “bump and run”.
- A good feel off the putter face.
- Easy to work right to left and left to right.
- Very durable. They can take a beating.
All in all, I found the performance of the FG Tour and FG Tour X on a par (pun intended) with other notable high performance balls such as the Pro V1 and Pro V1x, Bridgestone RX330 and the Taylormade Penta. They jumped off the club face; especially with drivers and fairway woods. These balls perform well around the greens too. Not too much spin and really good feel off of wedges and a real soft feel off the putter.
Both the FG Tour and FG Tour X balls are available at major golf retailers around the country. For more information on either of these or any other Wilson Staff golf product, you can visit the website at www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/.